November 12, 2014 – Concord, Ontario – Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Member of Parliament Peter Kent (Thornhill), on behalf of Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz, today announced an investment of $990,000 to U-Be-Livin-Smart, an Ontario based health food processing company.
This investment is being used for the purchase and installation of food processing equipment for the commercialization of the company’s patented nutrient-dense muffins, vitamins and other related products. This project will help create jobs and increase demand for berries, apples, sweet potatoes, eggs and whey protein, leading to increased profitability for farmers.
- According to Euromonitor, Canadian sales of naturally healthy foods are expected to be $9.66B by 2018.
- U-Be-Livin-Smart founded the Feed88M program: with every package of their product purchased, the company feeds one person at a local food bank with their nutrient dense products. To date they have fed more than 500,000 people across North America.
- This investment is made through the Enabling Commercialization and Adoption stream of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s AgriInnovation Program, a five-year, up to $698-million initiative under Growing Forward 2.
“Consumer demand for healthier food products is on the rise, not only in Canada, but worldwide. Supporting innovative projects that respond to market demand contributes to Canada’s economic growth and helps us remain competitive and relevant in today’s global economy.”
- Peter Kent, MP for Thornhill
“We are committed to providing delicious, nutrient-dense foods and vitamins to busy families so they can eat smarter. We have been able to launch in 3 Categories with, Healthy Muffins, Healthy Candy and Food Built in Vitamins and are now in over 10,000 points of distribution like Loblaws, Walmart and Walgreens. This investment will help us to bring healthy, affordable foods to more Canadians. Our 10 to 1 patented process starts with ten pounds of raw ingredients and transforms them into one pound of delicious healthy food without losing any of the nutrient and micro-nutrient value.”
- Tim Sinclair, Co-founder of U-Be-Livin-Smart.