Recent reports have shown that last year more than 12 million Canadians contributed their time, energy and skills to groups and organizations such as charities and non-profits. They provided leadership on boards and committees; canvassed for funds; provided advice, counselling or mentoring; visited seniors; prepared and delivered food; served as volunteer drivers; advocated for social causes; coached children and youth. In short, they shaped communities like Thornhill and enabled non-profit organizations to deliver programs and services to millions of their fellow Canadians.
As your Member of Parliament, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the countless hours you have dedicated to our community of Thornhill.
I therefore urge you to join me on behalf of Prime Minister Stephen Harper in recognising the accomplishments of our dedicated volunteers and nominate them for a Prime Minister’s Volunteer Award!
You can nominate someone in the following national and regional categories.
- Emerging Leader recognizes new volunteers who help build stronger communities through leadership and have made a positive difference in their community in a short period of time. This award is for those who have volunteered for no more than three years.
- Lifelong Achievement recognizes individuals who have dedicated their life to volunteering and have inspired other volunteers, led volunteer groups or made other exceptional achievements through volunteering. This award is for those who have volunteered for a period of at least 20 years.
- Community Leader recognizes individual volunteers or groups of volunteers who have taken a lead role in developing solutions to local challenges.
- Business Leader recognizes businesses that demonstrate social responsibility in their business practices.
- Social Innovator recognizes not-for-profit organizations that demonstrate innovation in addressing social challenges.
Recipients are recognized at an award ceremony and chose an eligible not-for-profit organization to receive a grant for $5,000 (regional award) or $10,000 (national award).
Submissions close on June 30, 2015.
To learn more about the Prime Minister’s Volunteer Awards please visit http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/prime-ministers-volunteer-awards
Please do not hesitate to contact Peter Kent’s constituency office at 905-886-9911, for guidance relating to this announcement.